Sunday, November 26, 2006

Backbone Back...

Well, what a night that was! One of the best contests I have witnessed in recent years. It had everything; Aggression, injury, determination....
I was glad that Langer reached his century. He deserved to do so. And RP looks to be in trouble with his back. Perhaps a recurrence of an old injury? Interesting that he didn't take the field. And so with a target finally set of 648 I figured we would be all done by tea.
Happily we are still hanging in there despite Freddie's best efforts. Cook showed real coolness and Collingwood, even though there is no place for him in my team, was at times sublime. He showed a selfish side though in that attempt to reach his 100. Interesting enough it was a similar act of charging Shane Warne that was the undoing of Ramps a few years ago. The selectors never forgave me and he didn't play for England again. I wonder if Collingwood will suffer the same fate.
Talking of Warne, it was nice to see him showing his true colours with KP. Only the day before in an interview he said all about sportsmanship. His action of throwing the ball at KP was reckless.
KP did well and held his nerve. He was determined to still be there at the end and with Jones eager to cement his place in the side I think we could get home. We won't win...but I suspect will will only be 150 light of the target and considering the dreadful showing of the first 3 days this is achievement indeed.
I am very tired now...more later

3 comments:

Richard Bailey said...

Sleep got the better of me soon after KP arrived at the crease.
Clearly I missed the best bit.
Strauss should be shot.
Cook needs to spend the next 5 days batting against Monty.
Bell was unlucky.
Flintoff is on borrowed time as Captain. He can't hack it.
Collingwood defied you and demonstrates why the choice is so hard and KP, for once in his life, was brilliant and lived up to the hype.

Richard Bailey said...

They'll hear me laughing in Australia if Ponting's and Langer's vanity costs them a win in this test. Just seen Langer's interview - he's not bitter!
Gilchrist was just terrific as captain once Ponting was off.

Middle & Off said...

I have to agree about Collingwood... he did show true mettle and could prove essential on Friday. Can sack a guy that scores so well....Bell was unlucky. Just needs to get the bat in front and risk the edge to slip. We must never give Warne another LBW!