Friday, May 25, 2007

England v West Indies, Headingley - Day 1

The return of Virgil was greeted with some scepticism by the sporting hacks at yesterday's press call. They have a point. After 16 Tests missed the skipper is back. But how long before he is injured again?

The weather in Leeds for today is set to be 16C with light right at times. This will favour our swing attack. I would like to see Sidebottom have a go as he seems to be brimming with confidence. No Freddie, which I think is right. He could do with a proper recovery time...like a year off. Harmison needs to be disciplined when they bowl, as does Plunkett. I am tempted to suggest playing both Anderson & Sidebottom (leave Plunkett on the bench) because they are superior at swinging the ball.

That said, England just need their bowlers to support their bats this time round. Should be an interesting day...especially if Harmy starts by spraying the ball down leg. However, I have a feeling that he will be on form today because he must be aware that his place will be under threat from the likes of Broad...and even Jones.

2 comments:

Richard Bailey said...

Sceptiscism, shmepticism.
Virgil is great and let that be an end to it.

Why do the BBC commentators constantly reinforce the belief that Bell will "be the fall guy" when Flintoff returns? Can they not read the stats? Are they idiots?

Go Pietersen!

Jems said...

Hi Phil, please allow me to introduce myself my name is Jemile Al-Darraji and I am head coach of the cricket school.

I wondered if you would be interested in me writing articles / or more over creating videos for you to post on your website. My videos could be from a cricket coaching perspective and I believe would be of interest to your readers.

With everyone buying cricket bats for the season ahead - i think my first post will on buying the right sized cricket bat and how to make sure it’s the right weight etc ...

The only thing I would ask for this is a link on your blog roll for " Cricket Coaching Online" to the address below.
www.thecricketschool.com
jemile @ service@cricketcoachingonline.com
Ps i would of emailed this elsewhere but i could not find an address on your blog so send to.