Tuesday, January 23, 2007

England v New Zealand

Dismal state of affairs. It was obvious that NZ were out of form with the bat and yet we still threw it away. I can't believe it!

Dutifully, I rose at 3am to watch the lads and when we had them 67 for 5 I nodded off thinking that we'd be fine. What went wrong? Lack of a killer instinct I guess. And then even getting them out for 210 we should have strolled it. At least Joyce showed his mettle for once. Out to a very good catch too.

So where do we go from here? Fortunately, we can only improve. It is alright for Freddie to say they tried their best but if we intend to compete in the Word Cup then we must improve. And for heaven's sake somebody please put a sock in Paul Nixon's mouth. It's bad enough having to listen to Hussain banging on about how we should play without having to hear Nixon trying to encourage the lads. I mean, every now and then would be fine but every bloody ball!

Friday then...The Aussies again. Trouble ahead once more...who would you drop?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last time I posted here I was still trying to sustain some optimism but God it was dismal. Not so much the bowling where Flintoff and Anderson in particular looked pretty good. But, my dears, the batting!

Limp strokes, and that terrible deer in the headlights quality that England have gradually acquired this winter. No one seemed to have the least idea how to score against Vettori. It was a truly gutless, prideless performance. Worse than pretty much anything I've seen on a pretty awful tour. Which is some accolade.

I don't think Bell should be batting at three -- and there's nothing to be lost by giving Borpara a run. And is Owais Shah on the tour now? I've lost track. If he is, for god's sake play him.

Of course England have plenty of alibis: the loss of Trescothick, then Pietersen, and then Vaughan... but even so I have the horrible fear that this World Cup is going to be even more embarassing than the last. Maybe England should re-name themselves "Imposions 'R Us" in a vain attempt to spare the nation further embarassment.

The continuing failure to perform in one-day cricket remains puzzling. It must be one of the main complaints against Fletcher as coach; that just about every other side looks more athletic in the field, more organised, less panicky and seems to know better how to bat in tight situations. What are they playing at? How has an all conquering side of two years ago come to this?

Middle & Off said...

Muttley I agree!

The coach is an issue but the selection team is also. I'd love to give a game to Shah and Ramps for that matter! It is a terrible, terrible state of affairs...If we can't get into the CB final then we should find an excuse and pull out of the World Cup. I can't bear the thought of going there and getting beat by Kenya!